Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Crafty Side

Much to Garrett's dismay, I decided I wanted to learn how to sew.
A couple years ago, my friend Sarah (who is wildly crafty and makes beautiful items), shared a picture of a pillowcase dress she had made for her daughter Anne.  From that moment on, I told G I wanted to learn how to do that.  I don't think he believed me but I was set on learning some day.
Well, with being stuck on modified bed rest, I decided now was the time so I researched sewing machines, and wound up purchasing the Brother Innov-ís 950D from a local dealer.

I LOVE it!!! 
To get the most out of this new hobby, I decided to take sewing classes from the dealer.
So far, I learned to make a tote bag (I've now made three!)
and a small, zippered make-up bag (zippers are NOT easy but certainly doable ;-)
Most exciting, I finally made that pillowcase dress I've been thinking about for the past two years . . .  
Granted, it's not perfect, and I certainly need more practice, but my little model LOVED it!!! 
I made it after she went to bed one night and showed it to her the next morning.
Her response???
Mommy, it is fabulous!!!  Can I wear it right now???
To which I happily responded . . .
Yes, my sweet girl, you can!!!
I made her a tote bag to match, which she carried around all day and insisted that we visit both sets of grandparents so they could see her new dress and bag.
Yep, I'm definitely feeling quite crafty and Garrett even seems a bit impressed :-)

2 comments:

  1. So happy you are getting into the sewing hobby. You are definitely showing great promise in that area:) And I love the picture of Alli in her new sach dress. She looks like a future cheerleader.
    Barbie Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad and I are continually amazed at your talents and accomplishments, Nikki, and Alli is absolutely adorable. You did an awesome job! Love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete