Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Alli is such a little trooper

It was a rough weekend.  Alli still wasn't feeling well, had little energy and was very irritable.  Lots of naps and snuggles took place in our house.  Yesterday, instead of going to preschool, Alli and I went back to Dr. D's for 3 hours of testing, which included 5 blood draws.  She was less than pleased about this but really did a great job.  Thankfully, Dr. D called last night to say that the tests looked good ~ whew!  However, given what happened, Friday's test results, and a concern last summer with her drinking and going potty so frequently, Dr. D said his gut feeling is that she is a prediabetic and will need to be monitored closely.  He is having us meet with the endocrinology clinic at Mary Bridge and has advised us to cut all high fructose corn syrup out of Alli's diet.  She needs to have a well-balanced diet and eat at regular intervals.  Once this virus is out of her system (it just keeps hanging on!) a couple of weeks, they will repeat the testing.  Also, she is going to have periodic urine testing to check for sugar.  All in all, still scary but we are feeling so much better.  Obviously, we are praying that she never develops this disease but know that if she does, we will be able to handle it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nikki. This is Jessica Johnson, Justin & Tiffini Johnson's sister in law!! Tiff called me about the news of Alli and a possilbe Type 1 diagnosis. As you are aware, our 5 1/2 yr old son has diabetes. He was diagnosed at the age of 2 yrs 4 months old. I guess I just wanted to let you know that if you have any questions that you may want to ask another Mom - I am more than willing to talk with you at anytime! If Tiff has not given my info to you - just let me know! On the bright side of things, if Alli IS ever diagnosed - everything will be OK...I promise! Like I always say, I'd take the diabetes over sooooo many other health issues! Chase has been a Type 1 for almost 3 1/2 yrs now...and he is perfect and healthy and AWESOME!! Wouldn't trade him for anything! May the Lord continue to keep his hand on Alli...and Mom and Dad! ♥Jess Johnson

    ReplyDelete