It started snowing Monday morning and just wasn't letting up. Surprisingly, Alli's school wasn't cancelled so I piled the kids in the car and started to take Alli to school. It was sketchy getting out of McCormick Woods and Old Clifton Road was no better. After giving myself many pep talks about having lived in New England and handling snow just fine, I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't safe to continue and we turned around. I called Alli's school to let them know she wouldn't be there and we spent the morning playing at the house. The snow kept piling up outside and Garrett decided to leave work early that afternoon. He got home around 4 p.m. I didn't really notice the wind but we got a doozy of a windstorm right about that time. I did, however, notice the lights flickering so I began lighting tons of candles and found some flashlights. I also decided I should make dinner quickly ~ just then, the power went out. I still had use of our stove so I made the kids grilled cheese sandwiches. Alli was freaked out by the loss of power and it was clear that it wasn't coming back on any time soon so we decided to pack some bags and head to my parents' house. They still had power at that point and have a generator so even if they lost it, no problem. It took us nearly an hour to get to their house (it usually takes about 10 minutes). We were very low on gas but there was no power at the gas stations until we got to AM/PM right by my folks. Just as we tried to pump the gas, the main transformer for the area seemed to explode (horrible, loud noise and everything went black). Cue screaming from the back seat from Alli. Can't say I blame her, it was loud and a little scary. We went to my folks and Dad was getting the generator going. By this time, we were hungry and exhausted. Thank God for family! We all stayed the night and enjoyed the heat and hot showers/baths. Pretty much the whole county was without power and the roads were awful!
The next day, we played at my parents' house and G took his final CPA exam. We tried to build a snowman but the snow was way to powdery and just wouldn't stick so we made a snow pile with arms and a face ;-)
Alli LOVED playing in the snow, Eli didn't know what to think and decided he wanted to go back inside.
Our neighbors were great about keeping us posted and let us know that evening that power was back so we drove home. Fortunately, it didn't take too long to warm up the house (I cranked the heat as high as it would go and had the fire going). We had one little scare ~ about 20 minutes after we got home, we lost power again! Alli burst into tears. Luckily that power outage lasted less than 5 minutes. But, just to be safe, we packed some bags again ~ I told Alli that since we were prepared, we likely would NOT lose power again. I was right ;-)The roads were still pretty bad on Wednesday so Alli's preschool was cancelled. We spent the day around the house. I was not feeling well at all and called my OB, who wanted me to watch it and call with any concerns. Given the holiday, I decided to wait it out. The pain meds seemed to help a little. Wednesday night, we went to the Thanksgiving Eve service at Church. On our way there, we asked Alli what she was thankful for, her response (and the tone she used!) was priceless . . .
Princesses and pink things
Ahh, to be 3 :)
Today, Alli and I made corn muffins since she missed her Thanksgiving feast at school. She loved doing this!
Eli was having lots of fun playing and hamming it up while watching football with Daddy & Uncle Z
Garrett's parents and brother joined us for a turkey dinner and it was a very nice, relaxing day.
As you can see, we had lots of help in the kitchen.
Everyone enjoyed the food ~ eating, grazing or playing ;-)
We could not be more thankful for our families or these two little angels . . .
Now it's time to plan tomorrow's Black Friday shopping with my mom ;-)














No comments:
Post a Comment