Monday, April 28, 2008

Another Giant Leap Backward

As I mentioned in our last update, although Alli had gained weight, she started refusing food and liquids again. Garrett and I were completely beside ourselves and decided we simply couldn't wait before seeking help again. We were determined to break this cycle so we attempted to contact Alli's GI doc last week. We reached out to her last Tuesday and had a response by Wednesday: "bring Alli in on Friday at 10 a.m." We were really nervous for the appointment, assuming that she had lost more weight, afraid she may be hospitalized, and concerned that we would have to battle to get help. We could not have been more wrong.


Well, we were partly right, she did lose weight. She's now at 17 lbs 7 oz so she lost 6 oz in two weeks. I have to say that while we weren't happy that she lost weight, we were relieved to see that we had hard proof of a need for further help. Alli's GI doctor is AWESOME!!! I truly think this woman is an angel sent by God to help us with Alli. When she walked into the room, the first thing out of her mouth was "thank you so much for contacting me for help, I'm so glad you didn't wait" What?!?! We begged for help almost daily with Alli's former pedi and were told that nothing was wrong, she would grow out of it, blah, blah, blah. We were made to feel crazy. Not with her. She even apologized again for the delay ~ she was in Brazil for a family emergency. She re-reviewed all of Alli's tests and they are negative, but she said that the RAST (allergy) test may not be accurate so if we don't see improvement, she will do an endoscopy and colonoscopy.

What was even better about this appointment is we have action. Like us, she found it interesting that Alli stopped eating two days after she stopped the Zantac. Garrett got really nervous when she said this, but she quickly erased his fears. She prescribed the appetite stimulant and another medication to treat reflux. It's not Zantac but apparently in the same family, just newer. We also need to continue giving Alli the Vit D, Vit E and Iron supplements. She asked that we call on Tuesday to check in with her to determine if we need to up the amount of the appetite stimulant. She also wants Alli back in three weeks to determine whether to schedule the further tests. Here is what also impressed us, she went to the scheduling desk with us and made sure that we got an appointment for exactly three weeks even thought the scheduler thought she was over-booked that day. We got the first appointment of the morning so there will be no problems :) She asked that we call her that afternoon to let her know the vitamin concentration. I was amazed, the number she gave us was her direct line ~ she actually answered the phone ~ WOW!!!

After a couple of days on the appetite stimulant (which is actually an antihistamine that has the side effect of increased appetite) Alli does appear to be eating a bit better. She is still not eating a lot but she is no longer violently refusing food and she will actually ask to eat, which she never does. It's pretty exciting but at the same time, we are afraid to get our hopes up since she does go through cycles of eating okay.

We truly believe we are going to get to the bottom of Alli's issues and we're going to get help. Praise God, the prayers are working!!! We know there will be difficult days but at least we know that we are in good hands. Please keep praying that the appetite stimulant works and Alli will not require a feeding tube.

1 comment:

  1. I honestly would push for the endoscopies -- they are relatively risk free and give the doctor the full picture of the baby's digestive system. Obviously we would know nothing of Vic's reflux had we not done this. Just my suggestion, but it really helped us! We only did the upper, and it took literally minutes to complete.

    Laura Ballard

    ReplyDelete