Friday, August 25, 2006

Luck runs out with Boston drivers :(

Anticipating a very long day yesterday, I drove to work (figured the client would rather pay the $30 for my parking than the $160 cab ride home). Imagine my surprise when I finished the project early and was able to leave by 5:30!!! I was thrilled, however, the feeling didn't last long. Leaving at this time meant driving in the rush-hour evening commute on the Mass Pike (I-90). It was a clear sunny day and traffic was very slow moving, lots of stop and go. As I was about 5 to 10 miles away from my exit, all of the lanes again began to slow and come to a complete stop, paying attention, I did the same. Unfortunately, the driver behind me did not and rearended me. I was not hurt, just frustrated .


I promptly called the police (thanks Mom for the good example and advice ). I wanted an accident report filed to make sure that I was not held at fault. I know I said I wanted an accident that was not my fault, but this is enough!!! The other driver was very apologetic, and I was nice to him (he felt terrible, there was no point in making him feel worse) but am still annoyed. He said he only looked away for an instant - let this be a lesson for all, an instant is all it takes! He was lucky that traffic was so slow to begin with so he was not going fast when he hit me and neither of us were hurt - I cannot say the same for the cars. As you can see below, my car probably suffered a couple thousand dollars damage - his car was far worse. Because my car was still drivable, I went home after the report was filed (officer told me to leave) so I do not know whether the other driver was cited but I have to assume so.

Once I got home, Garrett assessed the damage and took the pictures below while I called the insurance companies.

Fortunately, the other driver's insurance company (at least last night) was very accomodating and pleasant. They opened a claim (he had not called yet) and told me an adjuster would contact me by end of today (Friday) to schedule the appraisal. They also offered me a loaner car. Hopefully, this will continue to be an easy process. If not, our insurance (USAA is a fabulous company!) assured us they would cover the damages, waive the deductible, and go after his insurance. One way or another, it will get fixed.

Although not hurt, I am definitely shook up, probably why I am writing this at 5 AM instead of sleeping . I hope everyone will take away from this what I have - cars can be very dangerous and we must be alert and focused at all times!!! I may think twice now about using the cell phone or changing a CD while driving . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment