What a week we have had. . . Anyone who knows me and my driving history, probably figured it was only a matter of time before I got into another accident (especially with the way people drive in MA). Well on Thursday it happened! I should begin by saying that I am completely fine, not so much as a bump or scratch. And, contrary to what you are all likely thinking, this was not even remotely my fault - there is a first for everything :) When I was driving to physical therapy at 5 AM, I noticed a semi wheel-well in the middle of my lane. I had three choices: swerve to the right and go down a minor cliff, swerve to the left and hit the car next to me, or hit the wheel-well. Fortunately, my driving has improved since I was as a teenager, and I opted for the responsible choice - I hit the wheel well. Originally, I thought it just took out my tire. I pulled over to the side of the highway (a very scary experience in itself!) and called Garrett, begging him to come rescue me (he did). I then called for roadside assistance. After what seemed like an eternity, Garrett arrived and assessed the damage. Not only was the tire blown, but the front bumper and front right side were damaged - USAA estimates the damages to be at least $4100 (thank goodness for insurance!!!). The car was towed to the body shop and is currently being repaired. Major bummer to happen to my new car but at least I am okay and didn't hurt anyone else. In a very strange way, I am a little happy to now say that I have been in an accident that I did not cause - trying to look on the bright side of things!
My other big news of the week is much better . . . I am starting to see my quad!!! After the car was towed, Garrett dropped me off at the subway and I went to PT (I refuse to miss a day for anything). On Thursday, my therapist "Dutch" told me he thought he saw the muscle flicker. I didn't see anything but I decided it was a positve thing that he thought the muscle was beginning to return. Well this morning at PT, I saw it! Usually when he tells me to tighten my muscle, I cannot see (or feel) a thing, but this morning I both felt it and saw it. Even better, my left leg bent (with a lot of PAINFUL help from Dutch) 95 degrees. This may not sound like much, but trust me, it is a HUGE improvement. I try very hard at PT to just grin and bear it but during this morning's bending, I was begging him to stop, of course he didn't and I survived. I am definitely making improvement and feel that I am getting stronger every day. I have no doubt that Dutch will have me running in time for my two June races. More importantly, he will have me ready for the half-marathon and full marathons that I am signed up for in October and January (Garrett thinks I am completely nuts!). Everyone needs a stress reliever, and running is mine. It is the one time that I get to be completely selfish and enjoy myself and my thoughts, so I refuse to give it up!
Aside from all of that excitement, we are really looking forward to leaving for vacation on Friday. We cannot wait to spend a week relaxing on the hot, sandy beach! We promise to post pictures of our "fun in the sun" when we return.
Saturday, April 8, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment