Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Big Short

A glimpse into the world in which I work . . .

These days I have little time to read but for my job, I have been instructed to read a number of books that have been hot topics in recent government hearings on the financial crisis. I have to say, they are pretty good.  Most recently I read . . .

Since the Fall of 2007, my professional life -- as I specialize in securties defense -- has been immersed in the mortgage and financial crisis.  I have spent countless hours trying to wade through 1000s of documents and taken numerous interviews of those "in the know" yet even I had a tough time understanding, let alone explaining, the financial crisis.  How did things get to be so bad???  This book was without a doubt the clearest explanation I have seen.  Is it one-sided?  Probably.  Yet it still gives an idea of how we got to where we are.  If only this had been published 2.5 years ago!!!

For those of you who glaze over when I talk about what I do but are interested, I highly recommend reading The Big Short.  It is actually a pretty gripping tale!

2 comments:

  1. Michael Lewis is a good non-fiction, investigative-type author. He's hit a lot of topics over the years. I appreciate your post about this, and would actually like to read more of your thoughts. This book is creeping up on my "to read list," but it's a long list. I'm sure you have a little more time for reading with your long commute!

    ReplyDelete