Friday, February 29, 2008

It's been one of those weeks . . .

Many of you know of the uphill battles we've faced with Alli and gaining weight.  She's always been a little peanut but growing fine until last Fall when she got repeated ear infections.  She lost weight and we've been struggling ever since to get her to eat and gain.  We've been working with a team of specialists to address her low weight and had another meeting today.  In the past, the main advice we were given was to "relax" and things will get better.  Well, in the last month, we've tried to do that and thought it was working.  We could not have been more wrong.  Since her 1 year appointment on Feb. 4th, Alli has LOST 5 oz.  We thought for sure that she would be at least 18 lbs, but nope, she was less than she was 3.5 weeks ago.  I think the most frustrating part was they gave us absolutely no advice ~ just said that we're doing everything right.  Apparently NOT or she would not be losing weight!!!  I feel so helpless.  My one job as a parent (aside from loving her with my whole heart) is to feed her so she can grow and I'm failing miserably at that basic job. I have gotten as creative as I can and I am out of ideas ~ what do you do with a child that just won't eat enough?

4 comments:

  1. Nikki,

    I am sorry to hear things have been rough. I do hope it gets easier for you all soon. Did the doctor check for celiac? Losing weight even though you are eating is a sign of celiac. It may be a long shot, but perhaps something to look into.....

    I wish you the best of everything! Please let me know if there is anything I can do - even just an ear or shoulder.... We will keep you in our prayers.

    Much love,
    Michelle & Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know she may not be eating a ton, but the weight loss is to be expected because she just started walking. She is BUSY burning calories with all that energy she's expending while walking. The other thing I've been reading about is that toddlers' growth slows down big time between years 1 and 2. I think any little bit of weight she gains will be good. You are doing the best job you know how and that little girl is thriving -- try to enjoy her and not stress too much about her weight. Oh, and not that this helps, but as a child, Tony was picky as heck and really didn't like eating that much.....I still struggle to get him to eat throughout the day! I think this is just how some people are. She's just interested in other things besides eating -- the only reason I would be seriously concerned is if it were causing developmental delays, which we know it's not! Love you guys and take care.
    Laura Ballard

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should sit her on the couch with a bottle of beer, turn on the tv (or computer) and see if that helps. Sounds like you will have to tie her down too. :)
    Brandon Stock

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your frustrations! She is really giving you a run for your money on this issue. Laura had an excellent point that she is busy walking off all those hard earned ounces. Keep tabs on her weight - keep with the nutritionist. You are doing everything you know to do. I wish that this was a non issue for you guys these days - you have enough going on. To say you are failing at your job as a mom couldn't be further from the truth. You are a fantastic mom!!!

    Tiffini Johnson

    ReplyDelete